Discover Great Lake Taupo, New Zealand
Taupo is one of New Zealand's best destinations - there's loads to do whether you're looking for action or relaxation. Here are some of our personal favourites...
GREAT FOOD and DRINKS we recommend
- Cafe L'Arte is just a 10 minute walk from The Lakeview House and serves great coffee and light food all set in gorgeous gardens featuring amazing mosaics and an art gallery.
- Local Eatery: The Bay Bar and Brasserie, Acacia Bay ( fab gourmet pizzas and a good menu)
- Cafes: There are lots of great cafe's in Taupo including our favourites Baku, Taste, Cafe 99, Piccolo, Replete, The Spoon and Paddle, and down on the marina harbour Stir Cafe.
- Restaurants: Waterside Restaurant & Bar, Dixie Browns, The Bistro, Lotus Thai Restaurant, and Indian Delight.
- Bars: Taupo has some fabulous bars to enjoy including The Crafty Trout (craft brewery), Plateau Bar, Vine Eatery & Bar.
- Taupo is famous for its thermal hot springs, so a visit to Wairakei Terraces is a must do - there's nothing more invigorating or relaxing than a lovely soak in the hot mineral water.
- A massage is always a treat - at Wairakei Terraces or we have several local therapists who are happy to come to The Lakeview House.
ARTS & CRAFTS
- Lava Glass incorporates a glass blowing studio (where you can see the artists in action), cafe, sculpture garden and gallery.
- ZeaYou and Kura Gallery have extensive collections of contemporary New Zealand art.
- Taupo Museum features changing exhibitions in its gallery space as well as historical displays and the beautiful Ora Garden of Wellbeing.
THE BEAUTIFUL OUTDOORS
- The Tongariro Alpine Crossing (18.5km) is rated as the best one day walk in New Zealand and is a fabulous experience.
- The W2K track is a fantastic mountain bike and walking trail which runs between Whakaipo Bay and Kinloch (a 5 minute drive from The Lakeview House).
- Watching the spectacular sight of the Aratiatia Rapids after the control gates have been released upstream is a big thrill. You can drive to great vantage points, or walk from Huka Falls.
And then there's bungy, jetboating, skydiving, golf, helicopter rides, skiing, white water rafting and so much more... check out our useful links for some other general tourism websites to peruse.